Vitalstim is a treatment used to improve problems with swallowing. It is estimated that 1 in 17 people will experience dysphagia, or swallowing difficulties, during their lifetime. Swallowing difficulties can be a result of aging, a medical incident, or a degenerative disease. The speech-language pathologists at ITS have become certified in using Vitalstim to help and treat people who are currently experiencing swallowing difficulties.
- Electrical stimulation treatment used with traditional swallowing therapy.
- Strengthens swallowing muscles
- Restores swallowing function
- Improves the speed and sequencing of the swallow
- Safe, effective, and FDA approved.
- Ultimate Goal: Improve a person’s ability to swallow.
- Benefits should last minimum of 3 years.
- Typically 45min sessions
- 3-5 times per week, depending on severity
- Placement of electrodes on appropriate muscles
- Swallowing exercises
- Swallowing repetitions given different foods and/or liquids